I will also be offering students opportunities to participate in small groups and individual counseling covering a variety of topics. Examples of topics are listed below:
1. Friendship Group– for children who need to share ideas for making healthy friendships and gain problem solving skills.
2. Changing Families Group– for children who have been affected by the recent changes in their family, including separation, divorce, and remarriage.
3. Success Group– for children who need skills in managing their feelings of anger, sadness, frustration, and stress.
4. Grief and Loss Groups– for children recently affected by the death of a loved one.
5. Organization Group/Study Skills– for children who are experiencing difficulties with organization/study skills.
The overall goal of each group includes helping children learn strategies to cope with life’s challenges. Once established, the groups would run for a limited number of weeks (4-6). Groups and individual counseling will be held during lunch time or a time approved by the classroom teacher, once a week, for approximately 25-30 minutes per meeting. Children may also be asked to join a group to be a positive influence on others and to help others cope with the challenges.
If you are interested in having your child participate in a group or have other concerns, please feel free to contact me.